The in-your-face hijacking example, was: Re: Who is announcing bogons?

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Wed Apr 30 21:58:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:34:07PM -0400, Kai Schlichting wrote:
> In light of the recent hijackings, any customer coming in the door with
> a /16 or with purported IP space located in a /16  that has been recently
> updated, but not routed, should be given the full royal treatment of a
> background check: Pull over and show us your state incorporation certificate
> and your seal...and dare you if the corporation is listed as "inactive"
> with the state, or the incorporation date is past the date the space was
> registered, or you don't have the paperwork showing your legal successorship
> to such corporation.

	Given that lots of companies reincorporate fairly often, typically
to change where they're incorporated, what type of corporation, etc... I
don't find this terribly compelling.

	It's just as easy to forge a bill of sale as it is these other
forms of documentation.  Same problem, different documents.

	--msa