Market-based address allocation

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Wed Apr 30 21:14:07 UTC 2003

In message <5.1.1.6.2.20030430155224.039bbde8 at pop.mcs.anl.gov>, Bill Nickless w
rites:
>At 04:45 PM 4/30/2003 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>>See http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/piara/index.html for a
>>paper on the subject.  (We held a BoF at the IETF many years ago; there
>>was sufficient pushback that we didn't pursue the question.)
>
>I just *knew* such an obvious idea couldn't have been mine alone.  :-)
>
>When did you present your paper?  The last reference I see is 1996.

I believe that that's right.  It was at the Telecommunications Policy
Research Conference.

>What sort of pushback did you receive?  Perhaps the experience of the past
>few years might suggest revisiting the question?

Apart from the evil notion of money polluting the Internet -- this was
1996, as I said -- I think I'll refer you to the archive that David
Conrad mentioned.  It's been a long time, and I don't remember all the
details.