Open relays and open proxies

Joseph Barnhart flaboy at fdt.net
Wed Apr 30 20:22:18 UTC 2003

On this note, it's becomming quite popular actually with hosted sites at
least here, that spammers are getting domain names, and sending out their
trash with return addresses of valid domains which causes thousands of
returned messages to come back to email accounts of the domains.

Sometimes you spend hours trying to explain to angry individuals that:

1.  The site you host never sent the spam.

2.  The customer you host must deal with the returns as best they can,
    as they come from random addresses.

If anyone else has come up with a way to effectively handle this I'd love
to hear about it.

--jb

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, McBurnett, Jim wrote:

> Nathan,
> tell me, If I am a disgruntled former employee, and I decide my best
> method of revenge is to use a forging spam app to send out False
> advertisements about your company, how does that fit into you thoughts?
>
> Jim
> >
> >Why yes, yes it does.
> >
> >Why exactly should you be able to profit from spamming without hassle
> >or reproach?
> >
> >If you dislike being complained to because your customers are
> >spamming, your options are clear: ignore the complaints (in which case
> >the issue will certainly be taken up with your upstream providers), or
> >stop taking the spammers' money.
> >
> >Spam does not exist in a vacuum.  It's an economy like any other, and
> >someone who hosts the spammers' sites is very much an active
> >participant.
> >
> >As Joe-Bob Briggs says, "I'm surprised I have to explain this."
> >
> >-n

Joseph Barnhart
Florida Digital Turnpike
Network Administrator