The in-your-face hijacking example, was: Re: Who is announcing bogons?

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Wed Apr 30 11:08:11 UTC 2003

At 06:09 AM 30-04-03 +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

>That may be true, but what does a provider do when they are presented with
>written 'authority to use address space' from a customer? Certianly if the
>customer provides 'proper' documentation that the ip space is available
>for them to route, and that they have authority from the 'owner' to do
>this... what is an ISP to do? Aside from route the blocks?

Just had a case today where a downstream "clueless" tier-4 ISP got a new
customer.  The "clueless" customer wants his /24 to be announced.  We asked
for proof of ownership.  Clueless customer sends official letter to
clueless tier-4 ISP, who tells us "route it now!"  We do a check in APNIC
and see it is part of a larger /19 assigned to someone else (probably
clueless's customer former upstream ISP).  We told clueless tier-4 ISP that
we can't announce the /24.  I am now waiting for an email stating "but
Bulbul ISP never checked APNIC, so why should you?"

These battles are won slowly and one at a time.

-Hank