Get as much IP space as you ever dreamed of, was: Re: Looking to buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

Roland Verlander rolyv at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 30 01:55:06 UTC 2003

[Note: I am not suggesting that anyone should do anything that is described
here]
Kai Schlichting wrote:
> On 4/28/2003 at 9:32 AM, billmojo at australia.edu wrote:
>

> > Our client wants to purchase a number of IPv4 addresses.  Yes we know
ARIN
> > allocates them but many people have had problems routing the new
addresses
> > and we don't have the time for those sort of problems.
>
> <sarcasm on>
>
> Why settle for a few /24's, when you can have the whole enchilada
> for pennys on the dollar!
>
> http://spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso?isp=arin

Don't beleive the listing of hijacked netblocks @ Spamhaus, its maintained
by someone who doesn't seem to know the difference between spammer-hijacked
netblocks & netblocks assigned by ISPs to thier users.

> Like many of our convicted felons^W^Wfriends in the criminal
> trespassing^Wemail business, the new strategy to help yourself to a
> few /16's without stupid questions being asked is now:
>
> - scan the routing tables for /16-size holes in space that has been
>   assigned in the timeframe 1989 through 1995.

For APNIC, only look in 203/10 and look for /24-ish ones registered in
1993-early 1997.

> - determine if said "hole" is registered with any relevant address space
>   registry (ARIN,RIPE,APNIC, but LACNIC need not apply), and the space
>   is not routed.
> - determine if all registered POCs for the space are dead by way of
>   the domains having expired
> - spend less than $10 to re-register the "missing" domains, using the
>   original contact details (and persons) still listed in the IP space
>   registration.

Or, if it has no email address you can just register a domain for the
original owner with the same contact information thats in the current IP
whois and mail ARIN from that in the original owners name.

> - find yourself some nice, conspiring providers like AS 6453, 14551, 6939
>   or 10910

Or Qwest (AS209).

> </sarcasm>
>
> I am sure you can figure out the likely operational impact resulting from
> appearance of hijacked/stolen IP space just about now. AS 16506 is routing
> VPN tunnel endpoints for Al-Qaeda, you said? you surely must be joking, or
> it's a really bad rumor not reflecting reality, Sir...

AS16506 has its only feeds from Teleglobe & UUNET.