Get as much IP space as you ever dreamed of, was: Re: Looking to buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Apr 29 22:43:54 UTC 2003

Thus spake "Daniel Golding" <dgold at FDFNet.Net>
> And in the event the owner can't be contacted? And if contact is
> successful, and the owner says "I'm just holding on to it because I like
> have 10 /24s" or, worse, he gets the clue and just starts advertising the
> space, without using it? Then we have both address space waste and
> routing table bloat...

While that is certainly problematic, it's just not worth dealing with until
all of the truly unused space is reclaimed or voluntarily returned AND we
have run out of new space to assign.

Most people will Do The Right Thing when given the chance.  Case in point:
about 6 years ago, I emailed the contacts for every unrouted block within a
particular swamp /16.  The overwhelming majority offerred to give (not sell)
the block to me, a few didn't respond, and a couple dozen indicated they
were using or planning to use the block in the near future.  I dropped the
project, having more important things to do, but I figure I could have
snatched up a sizeable portion of the swamp just by asking.  Too bad ISI got
into the game before I thought of it again ;)