Who is announcing bogons?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Apr 29 01:53:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Rob Thomas wrote:
> ] | If you ask providers, they all say they implement positive prefix
> ] | list filters on all their customers.
> ]
> ] That isn't my (recent) experience at all.  Quite the reverse, in fact!
>
> Agreed.  When I was working for a hosting provider, the filters were
> inconsistently applied even within the disparate pipes purchased from
> the same provider.  It really depended entirely on the ISP engineer
> who configured the link.  This was the case with multiple providers.

Why do we expect the same ISP engineers to be better at configuring
negative lists or keeping them up to date?

According to Craig Labovitz's study published at Microsoft
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/pubs/view.aspx?msr_tr_id=MSR-TR-2000-74
100% of the ISP's surveyed filter inbound customer route announcements.