Who is announcing bogons?

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Tue Apr 29 01:29:16 UTC 2003

Sean,
I am not a BGP Guru by any means but as I see it:
there are more than 25 /8 that should not be routed at all...
And they are easily summarized.. some can be /6 or less...
I never tried that.. But should work....

If I go to AT&T and ask for a list of what should be routed,
That will be a huge list and not summarizeable.
Although there are routers on the market that have massive amounts of RAM
and can handle oodles of routes, and some ISP's may want to do this.
BUT the average net user can easily take a BGP Feed of say 25 /8 and
50 /16 or so and /dev null all is fine. Using my example of the blockage of
APNIC /8s.. SPAM SPAM GONE Away..... So can many other problems...
(I ACL'd 4 /8 from APNIC on a Mail server and lost 60-70 % of the inbound SPAM...
Nice test, Syslog didn't like it none.....)

To me Rob provides a great service, which I am ashamed to say, I am falling
down to implement... If I could /dev null some of the ole task list
I would do it now....

Anyway, JMHO....

Jim