Get as much IP space as you ever dreamed of, was: Re: Looking to buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Apr 28 23:26:52 UTC 2003

Niels Bakker wrote:
> d) is basically having the Internet community pay - both in real money
> for staffing at RIRs and in scarce IP address space - for no benefit in
> return at all for a function that those N companies should have an
> institution perform for them via c).

Actually, the company pays just the same as everyone else concerning
staffing at RIRs. As for scarce IP address space, the last report I
heard was that surge slowed down in time to keep it from being a serious
problem at this time.

If a company has a habit of making interconnections with other companies
  and said company has several /16's worth of network, I can understand
their desire not to use 10/8, as a conflict on a new interconnect could
require massive renumbering. However, I do think there should be methods
in place to recognize that those routes should not be routed by others.

For example, 9/8 shouldn't ever be routed by anyone unless IBM changes
their mind and decides to route it.

-Jack