Looking to buy IPv4 addresses from class C swamp

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Mon Apr 28 18:50:13 UTC 2003

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 12:10 Canada/Eastern, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake <bmanning at karoshi.com>
>>> Our client wants to purchase a number of IPv4 addresses.  Yes we
>>> know ARIN allocates them but many people have had problems
>>> routing the new addresses and we don't have the time for those sort
>>> of problems.
>>
>> Have you tried APNIC?
>
> Out of the frying pan, into the fire.  A significant number of
> endpoints
> block all APNIC /8's due to spam.  Perhaps RIPE?

I've heard of a few US government network operators who have attempted
to block "chinanet" by refusing all traffic from 202/7, but I certainly
haven't noticed widespread problems sending mail from addresses within
202/8 and 203/8 (although I have done no systematic testing).

What is a "significant number"?

Is this really a widespread problem, or is it just an enduring myth?

Joe