Selfish routing

Vadim Antonov avg at kotovnik.com
Mon Apr 28 18:49:32 UTC 2003

Stephen -- having a benefit of being on all sides of the industry, I can
only say that I share Alex's opinion that the industry is thoroughly
corrupted and polluted with tons of snake oilish "breakthroughs" in the
routing/switching/transport technology and displacement of sound design
practices with "marketectures".  And, the fact remains, OFRV _is_ the
major contributor to that orgy of lies and ridiculously exaggregated
claims.  Those of us who have better memories remember quite well whose
marketroids started to use sum of inbound and outbound interface speeds
(and, later, "fabric capacity") to advertise their product's performance.

Basically, Alex's advice to network administrators is quite sound, and
follows the time-worn adage: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

As for vendors, any person with a modicum of common sense would take any
claims of any newfound magic squeezing more than few percent of useful
capacity from the same old pipes with at least a cup of salt.  Especially
when those claims are made by people who want to sell more of their
overpriced boxes.

--vadim