Selfish routing

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Apr 28 06:20:05 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:56:20 EDT, alex at yuriev.com said:

> > I live in rural America. I provide access for rural America. There is
> > only one public exchange point close buy and it is over 100 miles from
> > my nearest pop (and the exchange has it's own problems). Capacity from
> > various networks is limited, and it can take over 6 months to get the
> > carriers upgraded to handle a new OC3, much less OC-12 or gig-e.
>
> Why are you getting carriers to upgrade to handle OC-3 as opposite to
> getting your own dark fiber and lighting it up? In 6 month they will build
> you the 100 miles in nowhere. It is actually a lot more difficult to get
> them to cross Park Avenue in Manhattan then it is to get fiber into rural
> area.

Umm.. Alex?  There's places around the US that would make a fiber pull
across Park Avenue look like a cakewalk.  We're talking places that won't
get a fiber pull because no company will lay 50 to 100 miles of fiber before
having a *guarantee* of multiple customers to amortize the cost over.

Wyoming/Idaho... Maine.. Appalachia..

http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu is what we're doing to try to fix the
chicken-and-egg problem (basically, the same build-and-privatize model that
we already used for http://www.bev.net and http://www.networkvirginia.net).

http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu/papers/location/lenowisco/Demo%20Slide%20Show.pdf

Go look at page 3, and ask yourself what provider in their right mind will
start pulling dark cable to *THERE* - closest reasonable city is Knoxville TN
at around 100 miles away.  We're talking about places that make Blacksburg VA
look like suburbs.. ;)

On the other hand, if you're a provider that thinks this makes sense, let
us know.. ;)