Open relays and open proxies

bdragon at gweep.net bdragon at gweep.net
Sat Apr 26 20:34:07 UTC 2003

 [CC list cleaned up]
> I think the most basic thing that any xSP could do to prevent relays and other
> basic address spoofing would be to disable source ip routing in every router
> that's installed.  I would prevent a lot of abuse.
>
> Curt

Can you support with data either:
1) IP source routing is used for "lots of abuse"
2) disabling IP source routing would prevent "lots of abuse"

LSRR is a tool utilized to verify network topology and investigate
such things as pointing default, etc. Several SP's require LSRR
at minimum on border routers for this reason.