Selfish routing

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 17:35:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Petri Helenius wrote:

> > Someone who built a rather good network used to say something along the
> > lines of "You are confused. QoS does not stand for Quality of Service. It
> > stands for Quantity of Service. What it means is that you don't have enough
> > capacity so you drop packets on the floor of those who pay you less money
> > before dropping on the floor packets of those who pay you more. At the end,
> > you still drop packets." Having capacity *always* makes a network better.

In general I agree here. Although its not always practical to do the necessary
upgrades, especially in last mile where costs may be prohibitive.

> While it´s general knowledge, it should be pointed out that having capacity
> at each and every millisecond is quite different game than having your 5 minute
> averages look nice.

I'm not sure it is general knowledge, I explain to someone at least once a week
that just because youre graph is at 70% doesnt mean you have 30% spare.

Steve