Selfish routing

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Fri Apr 25 19:23:33 UTC 2003

> So let me put this another way: I agree with Sean's original comment
> that adding more bandwidth makes networks better, but only on condition
> that you know how to use it.

Someone who built a rather good network used to say something along the
lines of "You are confused. QoS does not stand for Quality of Service. It
stands for Quantity of Service. What it means is that you don't have enough
capacity so you drop packets on the floor of those who pay you less money
before dropping on the floor packets of those who pay you more. At the end,
you still drop packets." Having capacity *always* makes a network better.

Alex