Open relays and open proxies

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Apr 25 11:50:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:20:19 EDT, Jeff Kell said:

> If we could somehow blackhole *only* SMTP inbound, that would be ideal,
> but I feel that blackholing all IP from/to those sites would be far too
> much collateral damage.

Unfortunately, for many of these hosts, there's no motivation to fix
things until the collateral damage reaches the equivalent of having a
live hand grenade stuffed into an appropriate bodily orifice.

A lot of these are home systems - and the *quickest* way to get them
all fixed would be if the 10 top websites refused to talk to them if
they were known open proxies.

On my more cynical days, I'd even advocate not worrying about the fact
that home systems often have dynamic IP addresses - that provides MORE
motivation for the ISP to track down the real offender before they
start losing customers....