Open relays and open proxies

Christopher J. Wolff chris at bblabs.com
Fri Apr 25 07:17:19 UTC 2003

Yes Neil, it is a shame.  Is there any known way to opt out of spamcop?
I'm sure I could ACL out all SMTP traffic coming from their netspace.
Or better yet, set up an IDS rule that emails their upstream provider.
If a few of us did this I'm sure the spamcop folks would find a way to
make their spam engine a bit more selective.

The spamcop complaints that really set me off are the "spamvertised
website" complaints.  Just the mere fact that you host a site that was
advertised by spam enjoins you in the spamcop chain of causation, even
if the spam mail did not originate from your network.

Since the PDRK is now ready to prove they have nuclear weapons, it's a
shame that the wasted spamcop computing resources could not be put to a
better use, such as DOS'ing the PDRK's uranium enrichment operation.

Regards,
Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO
Broadband Laboratories, Inc.
http://www.bblabs.com