Usage of ISP Proxys and DNS resolvers

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 16:24:08 UTC 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Maximillian Dornseif wrote:

> I like to get an estimate if the percentage of users
>
> 1. Using their Providers HTTP-Proxy to surf the web

Well if its forced, a transparent proxy.. you could do what you suggest below.
It appears to be common place, seemingly more so amongst the larger access
providers (residential?) to do this..

> 2. Using their Providers DNS-Servers/recursive resolvers to resolve DNS
> queries

Again, if you want to enforce the idea you can force DNS also..

Of course if you want to filter certain IPs, why not do it in routing rather
than messing with these applications?

Bit of a can of worms if you ask me tho.. censorship, freedom of speech, and
once you start actively policing you need to keep it up else surely your liable
if you allow a bit of the type of content through that your aiming to stop? (eg
if you claim your dialup is children safe then allow porn thro that makes you at
fault, at least being a pure "network operator" keeps you out of this legal
mess)

Steve