Usage of ISP Proxys and DNS resolvers

Maximillian Dornseif md at hudora.de
Tue Apr 22 16:14:09 UTC 2003

I like to get an estimate if the percentage of users

1. Using their Providers HTTP-Proxy to surf the web
2. Using their Providers DNS-Servers/recursive resolvers to resolve DNS
queries

Background:

I'm writing a research paper on government mandated web filtering in
germany (see http://www.politechbot.com/p-03983.html for an overview on
the matter). Basically the government want's censorship done by
blocking IP-Addresses, faking DNS entries or doing filtering at
http-proxy level.

Trying to determine the effect of this approaches on the average user
it is important to know how many users would be affected by this
measures. I guess:

* Users with leased lines usually do not use the providers proxy
* Dial-in/DSL users with use a provider supplied setup-tool usually
don't change the preset staying with using the Proxy.
* Big Customers with many users might run their own DNS resolver
* Most other users use their ISPs DNS resolver

I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with actual
numbers on this or at least an educated guess. If you think there is a
better place to look for this numbers I would be most grateful if you
point me there.

If you wish reply directly to me - I will post a summary.

Best Regards

Max Dornseif

--
Maximillian Dornseif - http://md.hudora.de/ - ars longa, vita brevis!
Dipl. Jur., Ph.D. Candidate (Computercrime) at the University of Bonn