Low AS - Number

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Apr 21 16:07:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:10:58AM -0400, Dwight Ringdahl wrote:

> Just a quick FYI, I am no longer with WebUseNet ASN 19151. I'll be starting
> to build a new network over the next several months. Does anyone have a low
> ASN I can buy/transfer as to not have one up in the 30,000s...
>
> My new contact info for now is, dwightringdahl at yahoo.com, contact me off
> list if you have any questions.

If you had acted last week, you'd have gotten a 27600ish ASN... If you
hurry, you can still snag one before 30000 (ARIN is in the 29700's as of
this writing). Then again, if you're bored enough, you could try to time
your app to get 30000 even, or wait a little bit and try for 31337 (though
I suspect that will be hotly contested).

Unfortunately, ARIN won't let you buy just an ASN (after all, why reuse
limited resources when they can make you take a new number, and don't
forget that maintainer fee :P). You pretty much have to buy a whole
company, or at least their "assets that entitled them to the ASN" such as
multiple transits or an existing customer base. They might not consider
buying a defunct company to be one of those situations, so you might not
want to advertise that, particularly when it comes time to transfer it. :)