Zebra Router???

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Apr 20 06:10:22 UTC 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 01:58:35AM -0400, Tom Daly wrote:

> This box is running as a simple static router, i.e. one subnet on the
> inside, Internet feed on the other side. No BGP, no RIP, no OSPF. Pretty
> simple, eh?

Let me get this straight. No routing protocols? Perhaps Zebra is not what
you need. :)

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 might be more your speed.

> So the goal is to know the bandwidth limitation of this router. Any
> ideas? I've heard numbers of 35Meg, 40 Meg, etc, however, I have not
> recieved a good reason backing it up. Can anyone offer some input on
> this?

As much as I hate to say this, stock FreeBSD makes a terrible high
performance router. The route-cache is horribly out of date with modern
techniques, and there just aren't that many wackjobs out there trying to
shove a hungred megs through a unix box to fully debug it (with the
exception of a certain notoriously cheap people who will probably respond
to this email talking about their success with FORE ATM OC3 cards :P).

Then again, as long as it's your network and not mind, who am I to stop
you.