[Re: selective auto-aggregation]

Joshua Smith joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Fri Apr 18 14:51:50 UTC 2003

my company does it (not by my choice) - my downstreams do it regularly
(mostly because they don't understand how/why to do something different)
i have been told that it is that way for 'backup' purposes (they
announce one or two /2[456]s to me with about 15 as prepends, and
announce their entire /20, plus all of their longer prefixes, to another
provider)
they also told me that it will not be changed...apparently, as routers
get more powerful and memory gets 'cheaper', they feel that it is not
their responsibility to help maintain global routing table sizes

Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:

> McBurnett, Jim wrote:
> > Only 1 question:
> > What about the companies that have a /24 out of the /20 0r /21 that are
multi-homed?
> > If the route rules are not carefully prepared the multi-homed customer
then might be single-homed and tied to the upstream they got the IP's from.

> > Thoughts?
> >

> I was curious how much of the de-aggregation was due to multi-homed
> companies requiring the longer prefixes. Are there companies that
> actually announce their smaller routes despite controlling the shorter
> prefix? What would be the benefit of doing so?
>
> -Jack

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -