changing host records

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Fri Apr 18 06:07:32 UTC 2003

On Friday, Apr 18, 2003, at 01:43 Canada/Eastern, Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:35:16AM -0400, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy
> wrote:
>>
>> I know this is probably off-topic, but -
>>
>> How does one modify a host record these days?
>>
>> The NSI site is utterly unhelpful on the subject, the web page I
>> bookmarked a few months back no longer works, and the e-mail
>> interface to
>> hostmaster seems to be no longer supported...
>
> You're right it is off topic, but this particular one has been peeving
> me
> for a while so now seems like a good time to bring it up.
>
> Host records are actually covered under the web interface. Login to an
> account and it's the bottom left Quick Link, "Manage Host Servers".

This assumes that the host record is named under a domain sponsored by
NSI, and that it is COM or NET we are talking about. The most general
advice for COM and NET is:

1. determine the parent domain of the host

2. determine which registrar is sponsoring the parent domain
(whois.crsnic.net)

3. do whatever registrar-specific thing is required to update the host
record.

4. wait until the host record appears in the registry (and in the COM
or NET zones, if it results in glue records).

5. cheer enthusiastically.

I haven't used NSI for a long time, so I can't comment on your
NSI-specific advice. It had a general tone of anger and frustration
though, which makes me think it is quite possibly accurate.

The absolutely general advice, for all registries, is:

1. determine whether the registry in question even includes the concept
of host objects

2a. if it doesn't, stop and scratch your head, but resist the
temptation to post to NANOG

2b. if it does, do something registry-specific.

Joe