Independent space from ARIN

Peter Galbavy peter.galbavy at knowtion.net
Tue Apr 15 12:18:06 UTC 2003

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> If ARIN were truly a registry, they would charge by the prefix, not
> by the address, and said fees would only be incurred when a change
> was made. ARIN's fee structure clearly has far more in common with a
> landlord than with a title clerk. If it walks and talks like a duck,
> it's probably a duck.

We are having this issue with RIPE in the EU, where fees increased by 50%
last year - with no justification other than 'we need it'. So, unlike the
rest of the IT universe, making cut backs and economising, they are
continuing to support their own gravy train in the hope that their
membership doesn't notice. I think the 50% increase was noticed; now all we
have to do is get to the (not co-located with any other practical meeting in
an obscure location) AGM where budgets are voted on.

Peter