Independent space from ARIN

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 14 21:42:41 UTC 2003

Thus spake "Robert Blayzor" <noc at inoc.net>
> Seriously?  I don't agree with monopolies in any way, but there are
> reasons for centralized control on some things, it's called sanity.

No allocation system can operate when there is higher demand than supply;
the only difference between free and central markets is that a free market
will self-correct as long as demand is elastic -- central markets simply
fail and lead to revolution (see also: USSR).

> Talk about stepping up wide IPv6 deployment to almost immediately....

...except the requirements for IPv6 PI space are even more draconian than
for IPv4.  Consensus in the IPng WG saying it's reasonable to expect
customers to renumber several times per year because it's so "easy" with
IPv6, therefore "nobody" will want private or PI space anymore.

These folks make ARIN look like knights in shining armor.