Independent space from ARIN

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Apr 14 06:28:08 UTC 2003

      On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
    > Why are we expected to continue the status quo of paying thousands of
    > dollars for addresses in IPv6? Without the threat of an artifical
    > shortage to "manage", what possible reason is there to justify ARIN's
    > existance or fees? Why do we all get the feeling IPv6 isn't an end to
    > the expenses, but rather a vast new market of registration and renewal
    > fees?

That's actually a really good question, and one you should do some
thinking about, and talk with people about, before it starts coming time
to make policy decisions.

When the day arrives when people don't want new IPv4 addresses, or there
aren't any to be had, and everybody who needs v6 addresses has them, how
is the registry going to be paid for?

                                -Bill