Independent space from ARIN

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Apr 14 02:32:12 UTC 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Has anyone run into problems with routing though? If you get space from a
> tier1, presumably they have agreements with those they peer with to aceept
> traffic from those netblocks.
>
> I'm concerned with independent space, that some providers may refuse to
> route/accept the traffic. Has anyone run into issues there?

As soon as you get the space, register it in altdb (whois.altdb.net).
Some networks apparently filter based on the routing registries.  Then
there are the clueless/non-maintained networks that filter based on
outdated info.  See http://not69box.atlantic.net/ for more on that.

> There's also the possibility being allocated space from some of the "new"
> netblocks that were previously bogon space (and being firewalled by
> providers who havent updated their filters yet)...

Not "the possibility"...the certainty.  If you don't have "old PI space",
you're screwed, because you're going to get tainted space.  Until all the
filters get fixed (i.e. likely never), it's probably a good idea to get a
/24 from your provider(s) even if you get PI space, and use a few
addresses from that 'old space', assuming your providers have some old
space they can give you, for backup MX and NS records.  It'll make
switching providers a little trickier, but not nearly as bad as if you
were entirely in their space.

 Atlantic Net                |