www.worldnet.att.net Network not in table

Michael Hallgren m.hallgren at free.fr
Sun Apr 13 16:38:50 UTC 2003

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 03:32:39PM +0200, Michael Hallgren wrote:
> >
> > > So far as I know, www.worldnet.att.net is intended to be
> reachable only
> > > from Worldnet dialups.  204.127.0.0/17 is not advertised to
> the Internet
> > > at large.  www.att.net is in 204.127.128.0/17 and is reachable from
> > > anywhere.
> >
> > If so is (which appears to be the case), for what reason is the
> > (global) DNS populated with corresponding data? Somewhat harmless,
> > but fairly easy to clean up (via, for example, DNS configuration
> > views) -- for making things more beautiful.
>
> I've never been a fan of split DNS views, because it makes assumptions
> about what DNS servers people are using.

OK. Right.

>  What if a worldnet customer,
> say, wants to run a recursive named on his own machine, and handle his
> own lookups?  Then he is, necessarily, going to get the "global" view
> all the time, even when he's dialed in to Worldnet.  So it makes sense
> for "only reachable from worldnet" stuff to be globally viewable.

OK. But I'd guess most people (like myself, from time to time) would rather
run a local one forwarding requests to a suitably close (my upstream's) one?
(Depends on who you are and how you connect, of course.)

> And what if you're connected to multiple "private" networks, each with
> their own DNS, at once?  Then you've got to pick which private names
> you want to see, and point at the appropriate DNS ...
>

>From memory, you could configure (Bind) with forwarding type zones. This
would
allow you to recurse locally except for the zones of your "private" choice
or
forward all but these "private" one's to a global server of your choice.

> I realize a lot of organizations split up their DNS views (and because
> of NAT, some pretty much have to) ... but I've always been of the
> opinion that a single DNS is the way to go -- it eliminates all the
> "well, you can only see that name if you're using this DNS" problems.

mh