Independent space from ARIN

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Apr 12 23:44:06 UTC 2003

Dan Hollis wrote:

> Has anyone run into problems with routing though? If you get space from a
> tier1, presumably they have agreements with those they peer with to aceept
> traffic from those netblocks.

That's the SOA clause. In reality, most routes are accepted even at /24
lengths. The larger providers are usually not the problem. The problem
lies in smaller providers and usually only in the case of
misconfigurations (ie out of date BOGON).

> I'm concerned with independent space, that some providers may refuse to
> route/accept the traffic. Has anyone run into issues there?

I advert a /24 that is run independant out of a /16. I've had no issues
with routing concerning that particular advert (company owns their own
/16 but has a fragmented network requiring smaller adverts).

The only thing you will DEFINATELY have to watch out for is route
supression. When you are using a large provider's address space, they
announce the shorter prefix and have internal routing to you. When you
flap too much and people supress your long prefix, the shorter one takes
over and you're still good to go. When you have your own assignments,
you no longer have this protection. In other words, flap too much and
you go bye bye.

> There's also the possibility being allocated space from some of the "new"
> netblocks that were previously bogon space (and being firewalled by
> providers who havent updated their filters yet)...

This is inevitable. However, it is improving as traffic is being passed
to and from the newer networks. Current damage estimates are rather
small, although sometimes a pain to troubleshoot. I recommend running
backup MX servers and DNS servers outside of the new address space to
limit the ammount of inbound problems.

Jack Bates
BrightNet Oklahoma