Dual node vs "Reliable IP" Architecture

Jim Deleskie jdeleski at rci.rogers.com
Thu Apr 10 15:36:34 UTC 2003

While I try not let fork lifts drive around much in CO's I've been
responsible for :), I have seen more then once, a device ( I'll not mention
the vendors, yes plural) smoke out before, not real fires, but enough to
destroy a box.  Now does the frequency of such events justify the cost of
have dual routers everywhere, ( 2 times in 1000's of devices over almost 10
years)I'm not sure, I'll leave that up to upper management. I just build
according to the dollars I have available.

-Jim

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Neil J. McRae wrote:

> > Anyone doing this in their network? Is there validity in the
> > claims in this white paper? Anyone looked at the Alcatel
> > product that apparently funded this paper?
>
> I'd believe the numbers in this, what I don't believe yet
> though is that there are products available that true give
> the same level of redundancy that having two boxes does...

I've always found that these types of papers and products always miss one
big area of failure, at least in my experience.  What happens when the
highly redundant device is skewered by a fork lift?  Yes, I've had this
happen.  At least if you have a dual router config, and separate those
routers physically, you have a chance of surviving such problems.

--
Brandon Ross                                                   AIM:
BrandonNR