dual router vs. single "reliable" router

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 15:07:14 UTC 2003

Okay, I'll bite...

the mentioned file,
http://www.nspllc.com/New%20Pages/Reliable%20IP%20Nodes.pdf
seems to be fluff to me.

There are many assumptions and statements about
reliability, but the methodology of how the numbers
were reached is not present.  If one assumes that one
has a router which fails very rarely, this would
dramatically affect network design.  However, this is
an assumption, not a conclusion.  The assumption of
the paper is that the Alcatel box has ultra-low
failure rates, while the Juniper and Cisco boxen have
relatively high failure rates.  Personally, before I
let something like this influence my buying/design
decisions, I'd want to see some serious raw data...

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-