The Paradox of Commoditization

St. Clair, James JStClair at vredenburg.com
Thu Apr 10 10:20:23 UTC 2003

Jack Bates wrote:

*I have yet to see someone swear by their own life that the new
*technologies will meet the uptimes of the legacy. The fact is, in the
*telco world, they don't.

Good point, but I think what Gordon *may be* saying is that part of the
reason the above is true is the degree monopolies are struggling to keep
their legacy systems. I would argue those folks who have paid (handsomely)
for *pure* transitions to new technologies have seen benefits; it is the
persistent hybrids of new and legacy that complicate service.

*Even businesses that require time sensitive, guaranteed communications
*don't trust the new technology whole heartedly.

Hmm, I would disagree. More and more critical processes (such as RTU
controls at utilities) are going to new technologies, with the ROI being
less expense of special technicians and remote controls. Dell "bet the farm"
on new technologies for e-commerce and helped turn PCs into a commodity.

Just a thought...
Jim