Mt Everest now on the Internet (somewhat OT)

Gordon Cook cook at cookreport.com
Mon Apr 7 15:42:43 UTC 2003

  	From: "tsering sherpa" <email removed from spambots>
To: dave at oldcolo.com
Cc: cook at cookreport.com, pavan at wlink.com.np
Subject: RE: link status in Gorakhshep
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 08:52:48 +0000

Dear Dave/Gordon,
Finally, we got the link up here in Gorakshep about an hour ago.
The link should have been up on 25th March but due to some legal
problem with National park we got delayed for 2 weeks. Then
everything was ready to go online on last friday but due to some
technical problem in Taipei we were unable to link till today. WE
will link base camp tomorrow.

I would like to call you guys from Gorekshep and I would call tonight
at 8 nepal time provided if it is ok with you guys.
Tsering

====

  Cook reports: I just had two phone calls from Tsering.  IPStar over
v-sat.  Delay of maybe two seconds...otherwise crystal quality.

It's cold. Tsering says... 17 below zero centigrade.

Gorakshep is the 1500 foot tall hill at the base of pumori about a
mile across the glacier from Everest base camp.  The altitude is
about 18,500 feet...5650 meters

Voice is Just a Data Application - more on
VoIP, April - May 2003,  83 pages available at
http://cookreport.com/12.01-02.shtml