Looking for advice on datacenter electrical/generator

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sat Apr 5 01:51:22 UTC 2003

      On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Timo Janhunen wrote:
    > Natural gas is volatile, hence not a good option in earthquake prone
    > areas - earthquake + natural gas line = big smelly leak - big smelly leak +
    > spark = big fire

They're already there.  Whether or not you use it doesn't affect the
likelihood that it'll break in an earthquake.  And FWIW, I've been
throught a lot of earthquakes, and I've been through a lot of gas-line
cuts, but the two have never coincided.  Backhoes always so far.

    > - The gas gets cut off immediately in any fire situation, usually
    > affecting a few city blocks at a time

When was the last time you saw a fire that affected a few city blocks?
I'm sure gas would be cut off in the event of a fire of that magnitude,
but are you arguing that diesel delivery would continue?  Trucks rolling
through the maelstrom?  I'm not sure what your point is here.

    > Diesel generators come in both turbocharged and naturally aspirated
    > models, which can easily be serviced

Hey, and engine is an engine, regardless of what you dump in the top.
Doesn't make any difference to the mechanic, or the parts guy, or
whatever...  It's all the same parts.

                                -Bill