Seeking Advice: L2TPv3 vs. Martini Draft MPLS

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Fri Apr 4 19:02:00 UTC 2003

>I'm currently comparing these two technologies in an effort to offer a
>Layer 2 VPN service on our backbone.  Our network is currently not MPLS
>enabled. Below is what I perceive as the pros and cons of each
>technology.  If anyone has thoughts on or experience with either one of
>these protocols I'd like to hear your opinion.

Historically, because technology has to be managed, on a level or another, by
humans, we have eventually arrived at technology that is easy, understandable
and simple enough not to need network wizards at every activation.

Because of this, I´d say that L2TPv3 will eventually prevail over MPLS, however
the market share of MPLS might increase in the immediate future the tide towards
IP-only cores has already turned and it´ll take 6 to 12 months for the large marketing
machines to change to hyping L2TPv3 instead of MPLS as the latest buzzword.

Pete