An A record is an MX record and is a missing MX....

Richard Irving rirving at onecall.net
Thu Apr 3 22:25:35 UTC 2003

Gerardo Gregory wrote:
<snip>
> Since then I have learned that some MTA's will look for an A record if it
> cannot find an MX record and use the A record instead.

  Once upon a time that was near all Micr0$loth did...

> Is this acceptable (in a "best case scenario") as a correct method?

  It isn't exactly completely RFC compliant, but, it is only a -=Request=-, eh ?

   But, FWIW, since when is a system =-without-= proper fall backs,
  a "best case scenario" ?

> Obviously some admins I have encountered are starting to host mailservers
> for sub-domains and domains without MX entries on their DNS zone records.
> Relying on the A record alone.

   Lemmings make a mad dash towards a cliff, every so often, en masse....

  * shrug *

  Go figure.  :P

> Gerardo A. Gregory

  :)