An A record is an MX record and is a missing MX....

Gerardo Gregory ggregory at affinitas.net
Thu Apr 3 21:58:53 UTC 2003

Please forgive if this has been discussed, beaten, or decided previously
here on the list.  A recent issue I encountered has prompted me to ask the
following question.  What I am looking for is clarification regarding the
"proper" way of implementing Mail Exchange records, etc.

I have always been under the impression (or taught at least) that an MX
record was necessary (required) for mail exchange.  I at least believed that
this was the correct way.  Recently, we implemented a new mail server at our
facility and started having some issues relaying mail to a few domains.
Although this has already been resolved, I was under the impression that
these two domains where the actual problem since I could not resolve an MX
record for either one.

Since then I have learned that some MTA's will look for an A record if it
cannot find an MX record and use the A record instead.

Is this acceptable (in a "best case scenario") as a correct method?
Obviously some admins I have encountered are starting to host mailservers
for sub-domains and domains without MX entries on their DNS zone records.
Relying on the A record alone.

Gerardo A. Gregory