Looking for advice on datacenter electrical/generator

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu Apr 3 00:25:34 UTC 2003

Just to give a working example, we currently have 2 redundant UPS's that
typically will have over an hour runtime each (at current load) and an
estimated 10 minute runtime each under a full load. Our generator and
genset have us up on alternate power in approximately 10 seconds barring
any odd problems with the generator, but a weekly exercise would typically
identify a problem like this which can hopefully be corrected prior to
needing the generator. A manual override of the transfer switch is possible
if a failure should ever occur in that as well. HVAC is powered by the
generator when it's running but not by UPS because of the tremendous draw
it would have on the UPS's shortening battery runtime. 4 HVAC units usually
keep it pretty cool, around or 60 degrees Fahrenheit so 10 seconds of all
of them being off is not a problem. Even 10 minutes wouldn't raise the
temperature all that much where it couldn't be cooled down rapidly when
power is back online. Our currently fuel capacity (at current load) will
allow us to run off generator for a few weeks without refueling. I'm sure
this is all pretty standard for most people with similar setups. Hope this
helps!

At 03:37 PM 4/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Everyone,
>
>My organization is in a growth phase right now and within the next year
>will find ourselves having outgrown our current 16KVa Symmetra.  We have
>comissioned an electrical engineer to make a recommendation as to what is
>required to install a new 130Kva Liebert nPower UPS along with a generator.
>
>Our current plan is to purchase the UPS with a minimal amount of battery,
>approximately 15min worth; just enough to get the generator running.  Is
>this the better way to go?  Or should we consider more battery?  What is
>everyone's experience with the Liebert line of products?  Any kudos or
>gripes?  Our electrical engineer also recommended that we purchase a
>Generac generator and transfer switch.  Any experiences with that company?
>
>He also is strongly opposed to us purchasing a natural gas generator which
>seemed like a shoe-in for us.  We have natual gas facilities and didn't
>want to hassel with the diesel maintenance problems.  Is a natual gas
>generator something that we should consider?
>
>Additionally he recommneded that we place the HVAC and lighting upstream
>from the UPS and use some sort of junction box to supply both the UPS load
>and the HVAC.  How do you "big guys" do it?  Here is a link to the diagram
>that he gave us today.  Your thoughts are appreciated!
>
><http://www.shastalink.k12.ca.us/nanog/nanog.jpg>http://www.shastalink.k12.ca.us/nanog/nanog.jpg
>
>Dan Lockwood
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>CompTIA Network+ Certified
>Cisco Certified Network Associate

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.