Internet Core Routing - Ethernet

Bob Martinez bobmartinezzz at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 06:21:17 UTC 2002

Folks,

Recently there was a string about L3 Switches in the core.  I really don't
like this string because I belive it reflects NANOG in a very bad light and
I'm going to speak up here.

1.  Why are you talking about vendors when you should be talking about
technology on this list.  Just like the charters.  I would recommend to
NANOG "if you disagree, say nay" that any post to NANOG with a vendor name
in it be sent to the vendor for comment before being posted to the list.
Just my 2 cents here.

2.  Ethernet is the technology.  If you don't see it, you are blind.  Let's
talk about Internet core routing in those terms.  Sure, all vendors suck,
but some suck WAY more than others.  I think we all know the names.  I would
love to be challenged on my knowledge of ethernet as a network engineer.  I
know way more than I ever did about token ring.  Wake up.  How many routes
can vendor X support with IBGP Nailed Routes?  What is the convergence time
for 100,000 routes? Does vendor Z have wire-speed ACL,s, PBR, MPLS?  10GigE?
  How much does that cost?  Does vendor Y have any reference customers?  Let
me see the video?  How do I manage CAM?  I think we all know who the strong
vendors are.  There are a few that will be around for awhile.

Bobby