Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

Chris Adams chris at improbable.org
Mon Sep 23 06:51:20 UTC 2002

On Sunday, Sep 22, 2002, at 15:41 US/Pacific, William Allen Simpson
wrote:
> I will agree that the security in WEP is almost useless, and have
> personally campaigned to change it for years.  But, it is still the
> only
> Access Control widely available.  So, it should be used, in addition to
> the better methods.

That will give people a false sense of security. Wouldn't it be better
to use an approach like NetReg to give every user a warning when they
first connect to the network? That doesn't require any arcane software
config and would give an accurate indication of how secure the network
is.

Chris