selective prepends (RE: Cogent service)

Olivier Bonaventure Olivier.Bonaventure at info.fundp.ac.be
Mon Sep 23 07:06:49 UTC 2002

"E.B. Dreger" wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:16:20 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: jlewis
>
> > Speaking of special...having played around a little with the
> > BGP communities supported by C&W and Sprint, I'm wondering
> > which other big transit providers (it seems almost a waste to
> > say Tier 1 anymore) support community strings that will let you
> > (the customer) cause them to selectively prepend route
> > announcements to their peers.
>
> 1239, 3356, 3549, 3561
>
> Other than that, I don't know of any positives.  I was going to
> compile a list and make a webpage... but I've had underwhelming
> response to past posts on the subject.

There is an ongoing effort with IETF to define a special type of
extended communities to support this type of interdomain traffic engineering
in a standardize manner within the ptomaine working group.

See http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ptomaine-charter.html

Those redistribution communities have been implemented in zebra
http://www.infonet.fundp.ac.be/doc/tr/Infonet-TR-2002-03.html

There is also a detailed survey of the utilization of communities that
might be of interest
http://www.infonet.fundp.ac.be/doc/tr/Infonet-TR-2002-02.html

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure