selective prepends (RE: Cogent service)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Mon Sep 23 04:59:58 UTC 2002

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:16:20 -0400 (EDT)
> From: jlewis

> Speaking of special...having played around a little with the
> BGP communities supported by C&W and Sprint, I'm wondering
> which other big transit providers (it seems almost a waste to
> say Tier 1 anymore) support community strings that will let you
> (the customer) cause them to selectively prepend route
> announcements to their peers.

1239, 3356, 3549, 3561

Other than that, I don't know of any positives.  I was going to
compile a list and make a webpage... but I've had underwhelming
response to past posts on the subject.

4006 used to; I don't know what 174/4006/16631 does now.

> This seems to be a really handy tool for balancing (or at least
> trying to balance) traffic across multiple transit providers
> without having to resort to the sort of all or nothing results
> you'd get by prepending your announcements to the transit
> provider, or worse, deaggregating your IP space for traffic
> engineering.

Yes.  Also handy for tuning latency/paths.

> AFAIK, Genuity does not have this.

I believe this is the case for 1, 209, 2914, 7018.  My experience
with 6347 has been "you want prepends, you do 'em yourself".

> If there are others that support the sort of flexibility of
> Sprint and C&W, and have decent T3 level pricing, I'd like to
> hear about/from them.

I should have a link/email with 3549 communities... somewhere.
They also have a nice set of tags indicating where the route
originated (dowstream, public peer, etc.; US city, international)
that help outbound traffic.

Kevin Epperson is the person to contact for L3 info.  He monitors
NANOG-L, so you should hear from him... ping me for his email
addr if not.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national