Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Sun Sep 22 22:41:43 UTC 2002

Randy Bush wrote:

> but it adds annoyance for the intended users.  in the case of non-
> techs, considerable annoyance.  and it gives negligible privacy.

(sigh)

Randy has the best of intentions.  But I'm tired of the old saw that
security adds annoyance.  I long ago gave up on a WG at the IETF when
the members wanted to add security, but with *NO* configuration.

Sorry, any security requires a *SECRET*.

I will agree that the security in WEP is almost useless, and have
personally campaigned to change it for years.  But, it is still the only
Access Control widely available.  So, it should be used, in addition to
the better methods.
--
William Allen Simpson