Wireless insecurity at NANOG meetings

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Sep 22 21:15:57 UTC 2002

At 05:06 PM 9/22/2002 -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
>Has anyone volunteed to conduct a Sunday tutorial on wireless security
>for users of "public" wireless networks?
>
>Although I think it is a mistake to think a wireless network security
>is different than using any other network you don't control.

In fact, why not make the tutorial oriented towards operators, and be one
of designing and providing service for mobile users (no matter what media
are used)?

In reality, most or all of the "service" that results is run on the
end-points, but ISPs can help greatly by providing documentation and,
sometimes, software to support this.  They also can learn what mechanisms
provide real security and what mechanisms do not.

d/