Cogent service

David Diaz davediaz at smoton.net
Fri Sep 20 17:11:51 UTC 2002

Bill,

Thanks for assuming I know a bit about networking ;-)

Actually I just received an off-list email, but the sender has a
incorrect reply to.  So I will partly address his question here.

At Netrail we used ATM layer 2 to map express routes.  We did this
for many reasons.  Yes helping with hope count doesnt always help
with latency, it does keep customers happy.  Where it does help is
with routers like GRFs where you do NOT want to piggy back load from
one hope to another, and then have those routers make decisions.  It
also didnt make sense to hand off all traffic from an ATM box, to a
router box and then back.  Do we need to mention the ATM boxes were
more reliable then those routers?

With Junipers or today's ciscos we would not have done it that way
probably.  They other issue to consider Bill is that depending on
your IP network design, you can add a great deal of complexity with a
67 city network where you have more then 1 router in many cities.

The off-list question was whether we had peering in LA as Netrail and
yes we did.  1 Wilshire is a good location, although much of the
peering is international.  Ren likes LA a lot as a peering center.  A
lot of people will tell u voice traffic to Pacific rim is big there.
We did map most of this back to our regional center in that area
which is San Fran and exited the peering there.  We had 3 peering
exchanges there and private peering, so people in LA did in fact
enjoy good performance.  Mario if you are seeing packet loss or
latency issues, you should address it with Cogent's noc or with Chris
who is working on peering there.  Im sure they would appreciate the
feedback.  You may see issues as a result of integrating several
backbones.

The hop count question is interesting.  Is the consensus that it's
mostly a customer service issue, where latency isnt affected but
customer perception is?  Or is it a real latency issue as more
routers take a few CPU cycles to make a routing decision.

Dave

--

David Diaz
dave at smoton.net [Email]