Cogent service

David Diaz davediaz at smoton.net
Fri Sep 20 14:31:25 UTC 2002

It seems the posts werent  specific to your location, and you didnt
specify if you had any priorities in which (if any) backbones were
more important to you.  Having been CTO at Netrail and dealing with
Cogent lately, you should see zero problems going to most backbones
such as uunet.  The only negative routing comments Ive heard are
complaints about extra hop counts.

They are integrating 3 different AS#s so you can expect to see some
growth concerns, but that is normal and to be expected.  Outside of
the extra hops, the people I know on the backbone are very happy.
The capacity to most peers is very good, and if you build an on-net
network with them you will see very good performance.

I think it's hard to complain when you are getting such an amazing
price.  They are building their backbone by providing very large
pipes to customers and then managing the aggregate traffic levels.
Balancing of traffic is a concern for peering so they will probably
ask what kind of traffic you have.  If you have eyeball traffic, Im
willing to be you could negotiate an even better deal.   As their
traffic levels grow they will be an important backbone to peer with,
and that gives them more leverage in peering.

At the very least, if you are uncomfortable go multihomed.  At their
pricing I would not be concerned at all to having them as one of my
providers.  They are also responsive to any routing concerns.

The only drawback from the customer perspective has been mentioned.
They do not want to be everything to everyone.  What that tells me is
that what they do, they are going to do very well, and they are
process oriented.  Anyone that tries to be everything to everyone
usually isnt very good at anything.

If you are concerned about financials, name someone in better shape.
It's simple, multihome, or go into a facility where you can quickly
move a cross-connect to another provider (thanks Jay Adelson for
burning that idea into my head).

Dave

--

David Diaz