Time to update RFC1912? (was Re: Top AS Offenders causing RFC-1918 DNS traffic)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Sep 15 01:29:36 UTC 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, John M. Brown wrote:
> I would call these orgs, speak to their net people and we would
> mitigate by having them become authoratative for RFC1918.in-addr.arpa.

Is it time to update RFC 1912?  The original author has noted several
additional errors, including the ommission of 1918 addresses.  Although I
guess since 1918 was published after 1912, that isn't surprising.

http://www.visi.com/~barr/rfc1912-errors.html

A published RFC is easier to reference when trying to get people to change
their behavior than a personal web site.

I remember configuring my DNS servers many, many years ago to sink 0, 127,
255 and RFC1918 addresses.  But I can't remember what authority I used to
justify it.  Most DNS servers sink 127.in-addr.arpa, probably because the
default configuration and just about every DNS book published shows it in
the configuration file. Sinking the other "well-known" bogons seems to
rely on word of mouth.