BGP Default Route

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Sat Sep 14 21:16:37 UTC 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 04:49:23AM -0400, Lupi, Guy wrote:
> Assume I am originating default for customers that only want a default
> route, or a default route and some portion of the full Internet routing
> table.  You're right, if I am the only gateway then it really doesn't

If you're the only gateway, why would you be running eBGP with the
customer at all (unless the customer has his/her own peers)?

> matter.  Obviously if there is more than one provider it would be better for
> the customer to accept full routes, but there are some customers out there
> that have 2 providers and don't want to assume the cost of purchasing a
> router that can accept 2 providers feeding it full tables (why you would

Perhaps the customer's upstreams are not in the same "tier" (e.g. one
provider is expensive tier 1 and is metered, and the other provider is
a local, cheap, but tier 2/3).  If the smaller provider is not as
well connected as the larger one, full routes can be sub-optimal, no?

> assume the cost of 2 providers and not a reasonably priced router that can
> handle it I don't know, but I have run into it before).  I am really just

There are customers who are multihomed at geographically distinct locations;
packets routed to any BGP border from interior (non-BGP) routers are often
better off just taking the nearest default 0/0 outbound.

> curious as to how people implement this and their reasoning for selecting a
> particluar method.  Is your method the one you stated before, default
> origination from the router that is directly connected to the customer?

FWIW, the large tier-1's we've had experience with do just that, and
assume that their POP's are "never" cut off from the rest of the 'net.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York