BGP Default Route

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sat Sep 14 20:47:47 UTC 2002

The answer is you can do it all sorts of ways.

Why are you originating default?

If you are originating default because you are the only gateway for a
customer, whatever partial connectivity your router has is better than
effectively turning them off if you have a network partition.

If your customer has more than one upstream they really should take full
views so they have the ability to make routing decisions based on that
information.  This fixes your concern and is the best engineering choice.

A hack would be to conditionally announce default based on the presence of
some specific other route.  This would be doing additional work to
implement a suboptimal solution which a simpler use of BGP (full views)
fixes automatically.

Yes, as much as you can, your routers should be meshed with more than one
connection each.

Mike.