Sprint BGP customer policy

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Sep 14 17:55:58 UTC 2002

I've been trying to make use of these 6500N:XXX community strings on a
Sprint BGP session with no results.  After dealing with 3 different Sprint
IP engineers, I'm convinced none of them understands the following info
from the Sprint web site.

I'd like to hear from a Sprint routing engineer who can either help me get
this working or tell me it's no longer supported.  All responses from
bgp4-adm at sprint.net and phone calls to the Sprint IP NOC have been comical
at best and demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of route-maps
and communities at worst.  I won't embarrass them by including any of
their responses.

If you're a Sprint customer utilizing these communities, I wouldn't mind
hearing from you as well, especially if you know what hoop has to be
jumped through to get Sprint to accept and act on these communities.

[from http://www.sprint.net/policy/bgp.html]

AS-PATH PREPENDS

Sprint allows customers to use AS-path prepending to adjust route
preference on the network. Such prepending will be received and passed on
properly without notifiying Sprint of your change in announcments.

Additionally, Sprint will prepend AS1239 to eBGP sessions with certain
autonomous systems depending on a received community.

String                  Resulting AS Path to ASXXX

65000:XXX               Do not advertise to ASXXX
65001:XXX               1239 (default) ...
65002:XXX               1239 1239 ...
65003:XXX               1239 1239 1239 ...
65004:XXX               1239 1239 1239 1239 ...

This is my second attempt to send this message.  Majordomo seems to have
either eaten my first message or bounced it to the moderator(s).

 Atlantic Net                |